Making a Difference
We appreciate your interest in volunteering with Family Services of Westchester. Please check back with us in early September for available opportunities. Thank you.
Volunteers and interns at FSW are a diverse group of individuals and groups such as high school and college students, retired teachers and accountants, older adults, moms and dads, small business owners, corporate employees, recent immigrants from Europe and Latin America, musicians and artists, high school service clubs, college sports teams and families. Our more than 300 volunteers enable FSW to provide valuable services and programs to hundreds of children, adults and families every year.
Volunteer opportunities can be ‘done in a day’ or on a long-term basis. You can interact with children in an educational setting or be a mentor to a youngster in the community. If you enjoy spending time with older adults, there are opportunities to share experiences with members of our senior population.
If you are interested in volunteering you will meet with the Volunteer Director and then the Program Director, and complete an application packet which includes references and a background check. Some opportunities such as being a mentor in our Big Brothers Big Sisters program require a one-year commitment. In addition, some jobs also require fingerprinting and a medical report. Training and orientation is unique to each program. In any volunteer position it is helpful to make a serious commitment, giving yourself time to learn and contribute to achieve feelings of success and fulfillment.
With more than 50 programs under FSW’s umbrella, there are many volunteer opportunities in a variety of venues and requiring different skills and time commitments:
With children and youth…
- Teacher Assistant in Head Start/Early Head Start classrooms
- Music, drama or art specialist with Head Start children
- Big Brother or Big Sister in our BBBS program
- Camp counselor at Camp Viva for a week in late August
- Marketing professionals as resources for Youth Councils
- Foster/therapeutic care parents for children with social or emotional challenges
With older adults…
- Friendly companion, entertainer and intergenerational activity assistants at My Second Home
- Musicians and arts at The White Plains Guest Home or Maple House
- Adopt a grandparent through one of our senior outreach programs
- Holiday festivities at Maple House, White Plains Guest House
- FSWorks- WorkSearch Information Navigator
For children, families and older adults…
- Thanksgiving dinner in a box drive
- Toy drive for children at the holidays
- Camp Viva Wish List- camp essentials for campers
- Holiday gift drive for older adults at Maple House and the White Plains Guest House
- Pajama and underwear drive for children and youth
- Diaper drive for Early Head Start toddlers
- Hat and mitten drive for 3 to 5 year olds
- Children’s clothing drive to keep The Sharing Shelf
- Children’s clothing organizer at The Sharing Shelf
- Fund raising events family style: car wash; magic show; bowling for dollars can raise funds for special activities and scholarships
- Human Resources/Administration
- Development and External Affairs
- Program services (BBBS; Respite; MSH)
Advisory Boards and Board of Directors
Volunteers serve as a liaison to the community and bring their skills and resources to the operations of the organization. Board members are links to other individuals, foundations, corporations and resources. Our boards and advisory groups include:
- Board of Directors of FSW
- Big Brothers Big Sisters Advisory Council
- Youth Advisory Council
- Friends of My Second Home
- The Junior Board of FSW
Family Services of Westchester strives to match a volunteer’s skills, interests and goals with the needs and resources of the agency. We listen carefully to you; explore with you your desire to volunteer and open the door to the programs and services we offer the community so you can gain a thorough understanding of our mission and work. We welcome individuals, families, businesses, corporations and civic and religious groups to become part of the family of volunteers of FSW.