Great Beginnings is a Universal Pre-Kindergarten (UPK) in the City of White Plains, which serves 4—5 year old children in warm, nurturing, supportive classes staffed by experienced dedicated New York State certified early childhood education teachers and aides.
UPK works in partnership with parents and recognizes them as the primary teachers of their children. Parents are encouraged to become part of their child’s educational experience by participating in classrooms, group meetings, trips and teacher conferences.
UPK is sensitive to each family’s lifestyle, values, and cultural preferences.
Each child is viewed as unique and guided to reach his/her potential. Class size and a high adult/child ratio support individuality. Children are encouraged to problem-solve, experiment with developmentally appropriate materials, and establish social relations through self-directed activities and special projects.
Goals: Great Beginnings’ Universal Pre-Kindergarten
- To provide a developmentally appropriate, child-centered, comprehensive, individualized, and family-focused early childhood education program.
- To prepare children for kindergarten, excited about learning and ready to succeed.
- To adhere to the New York State Department of Education’s Pre-Kindergarten Learning Standards.
- To have children enjoy learning through play, both individually and in small groups with peers.
- To enhance the talents, abilities, and strengths of all our children.
- To efficiently integrate with the White Plains City School District.
Great Beginnings (UPK) is
- Approved by New York State Department of Education in collaboration with the White Plains City School District.
- Licensed by New York State Office of Children & Family Services
- New York State Certified Early Childhood Education Teachers
Classes are held at the following sites:
228 Fisher Avenue
White Plains, New York 10606
Phone: 914 -997-0147
Fax: 914 -997-0594
The Lanza Center For All Ages Center
106 North Broadway
White Plains, New York 10603
Phone: 914 -422-8100
Fax: 914 -358-5590
Breakfast provided by Federal funds through Child Adult Care Food Program (CACFP).
Enrollment for the 2016-2017 school year is now open. Applicants must show proof of being a resident of the White Plains school district (utility bill, phone bill) and a birth certificate (child must turn four by December 1, 2016 to be eligible).
White Plains Public Schools
Family Information Center
500 North Street
White Plains, NY 10605
If you have any questions regarding UPK Application Process, please contact Gail Epstein at firstname.lastname@example.org or
call the Family Information Center at 914-422-2038.
Application can be found on WPCD website http://www.wpcsd.k12.ny.us/domain/21
Vernex Harding, MS Ed., SAS, SDA
Executive Director for Early Childhood Educational Programs
Family Services of Westchester, Inc.