Great Beginnings is a Universal Pre-Kindergarten (UPK) in the City of White Plains, which serves 4—5 year old children in warm, nurturing, supportive classes staffed by experienced dedicated New York State certified early childhood education teachers and aides.
UPK works in partnership with parents and recognizes them as the primary teachers of their children. Parents are encouraged to become part of their child’s educational experience by participating in classrooms, group meetings, trips and teacher conferences.
UPK is sensitive to each family’s lifestyle, values, and cultural preferences.
Each child is viewed as unique and guided to reach his/her potential. Class size and a high adult/child ratio support individuality. Children are encouraged to problem-solve, experiment with developmentally appropriate materials, and establish social relations through self-directed activities and special projects.
Goals: Great Beginnings’ Universal Pre-Kindergarten
- To provide a developmentally appropriate, child-centered, comprehensive, individualized, and family-focused early childhood education program.
- To prepare children for kindergarten, excited about learning and ready to succeed.
- To adhere to the New York State Department of Education’s Pre-Kindergarten Learning Standards.
- To have children enjoy learning through play, both individually and in small groups with peers.
- To enhance the talents, abilities, and strengths of all our children.
- To efficiently integrate with the White Plains City School District.
Great Beginnings (UPK) is
- Approved by New York State Department of Education in collaboration with the White Plains City School District.
- Licensed by New York State Office of Children & Family Services
- New York State Certified Early Childhood Education Teachers
Classes are held at the Rochambeau Center
228 Fisher Avenue
White Plains, New York 10606
Phone: 914 -997-0147
Fax: 914 -997-0594
Half-day (2.5 hours)
Morning sessions: 9:00 — 11:30 AM
Afternoon sessions: 12:30 — 3:00 PM
Structured classes in a supportive atmosphere where the student to teacher ratio is 6:1.
UPK follows White Plains City School District annual calendar.
Enrollment for the 2013-2014 school year is now open. Applicants must show proof of being a resident of the White Plains school district (utility bill, phone bill) and a birth certificate (child must turn four by December 31, 2013 to be eligible).
(914) 997-0147, x11