The Sharing Shelf of FSW has launched its third annual “Backpacks to School” drive for the 2013-2014 school year. Our goal once again is to create 400 backpacks for disadvantaged elementary, middle and high school students. Those backpacks will be distributed in early September as local children head back to school.
Can you “buy” a backpack for a child in need? We estimate that it costs $25 to buy a new backpack and fill it with grade-appropriate items. Please consider “buying” a backpack in honor of each child in your family, your grandchild, niece or nephew, or as a “birthday present” for the child who has everything. Your donation guarantees that a child in our area will receive a new backpack filled with fresh supplies. Click here to make a donation and be sure to indicate that the contribution is for the Sharing Shelf.
Do you prefer to shop? We could also use your help either to purchase supplies (items in bulk are particularly welcome). Items needed include:
- 1,600-2,000 folders
- 750 binders
- 750 packs of looseleaf notebook paper
- 300 three-subject notebooks
- 350 single subject notebooks
- 600 composition books
- 600 rulers
- 400 packs of pencils
- 400 packs of erasers
- 300 packs of colored pencils
- 250 packs of pens
- 250 protractors
- 250 compasses
- 150 boxes of crayons
- 150 basic calculators
- 100 scientific and/or graphing calculators (new or gently used)
- 600 tissue packs
We have several drop-off sites for donations:
- all FSW offices (click to see addresses),
- the Sharing Shelf Warehouse and other drop-off sites
- Temple Israel of New Rochelle (1000 Pinebrook Boulevard, New Rochelle)
- Larchmont Avenue Church (60 Forest Park Avenue, Larchmont).
For additional information about the “Backpack to Schools” drive, Contact Deborah Blatt, Program Coordinator at 914-305-5950 or email@example.com. Thank you.