Girl-Topia is a one-day free, special shopping boutique for girls ages 13-18 from families in financial need. The Sharing Shelf invites girls to attend the event through the recommendation of social service agencies, schools, food pantries and community groups. Each attendee may choose more than a weeks worth of clothing from the display of thousands of donated clothing items as well as shoes and accessories. Everything we offer is screened before the event for quality and we offer only items that are new or gently worn and age appropriate at the boutique. Since our first Girl-Topia took place in November 2012, weve hosted four successful events serving over 400 girls from throughout Westchester.
Each season, The Sharing Shelf organizes Girl-Topia in conjunction with volunteers from the community. Junior League of Westchester on the Sound is organizing the event this fall which will take place on Saturday, November 15th at the New York Covenant Church located at 500 Main Street, New Rochelle, NY 10801.
Help us with In-Kind donations:
- Organize a clothing drive for fall and winter clothing appropriate for teen girls. We need long-sleeve shirts, layering t-shirts, jeans, pants, sweats, skirts, dresses, pajamas, sweatshirts, sweaters, fall jackets, winter coats in all sizes from Adult small through XXL,
- Gently worn or new shoes and boots in shoe size 6 and up.
- Scarves, handbags, belts and costume jewelry;
- New underwear and new socks (we do not accept donations of used ones);
- Donate/collect new cosmetics and toiletries to create goody bags for the attendees;
- We have an ACUTE need for jeans in Teen/Womens sizes 9/10 and up and tops in Teen/Adult large, XL and XXL. If you dont have your own items to donate, please consider shopping sales and donating new items in these sizes.
Volunteers are needed:
- On Friday, November 14th from 9am-6pm to help set up;
- On Saturday, November 15th from 9am-11am to help set up and from 3pm-5pm to help take down the event.
- On Saturday, November 15th from 11am-3pm, adults over 18 (and no longer in high school) are needed to staff the event.
To protect the privacy of the teens attending, students in area middle and high schools may not volunteer during Girl-Topia itself.
To volunteer or for more information please email Deborah Blatt at email@example.com.