Family Services of Westchester (FSW) provides mental health and social services that strengthen and support families, children and individuals at every stage of their lives. With 50 innovative programs, FSW serves 30,000 individuals annually in Westchester County, New York.
Founded in 1954, Family Services of Westchester is a private, nonprofit, non-sectarian social services agency.
FSW’s Head Start/Early Head Start is a federal government program that was created in 1965 to give preschool children from low-income families a “head start” on their readiness for elementary school.
Family Services of Westchester is looking for a full-time Head Teacher for our Head Start program in White Plains, NY.
STATUS: Permanent/ Full Time
SUPERVISED BY: Site Director/Site Coordinator / Education Manager
PURPOSE: To interpret and implement the Head Start/Early Head Start
programs while Addressing and supporting the needs of each individual child.
- Serves as the Lead Teacher in a Head Start classroom by planning, implementing, and supervising all classroom activities.
- Lead regular documentation, reflection and planning meetings with teaching team to devise curriculum informed by children’s interests, questions, theories, and prior knowledge.
- Partner with the education staff and administration in the overall philosophy and direction of the Head Start Program.
- Create a warm and inclusive environment where children and families feel welcome.
- Communicates with parents through class newsletters, Schedules home visits and parent-teacher conferences with families as required and on an as-needed basis and documents these events.
- Ensure the health and safety of children.
- Create and maintain a developmentally appropriate environment.
- Plan and execute activities in accordance with curriculum guides.
- Maintain children’s education files.
- Monitor and document children’s development in Teaching Strategies Gold.
- Supervise and support assistant teachers.
- Collaborate with Family Services, Special Education, Health Services as appropriate.
- Attend team meetings and in-service trainings as required.
- Other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education or related field; 2+ years experience.
COVID-19 Vaccination is required.
There are a variety of benefits to joining Family Services of Westchester, an organization with over 65 years of history impacting vulnerable communities. In addition to the opportunity to connect with and help thousands of residents in Westchester County, FSW offers its employees an inspiring, diverse and team-based work environment with comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, and 403(b).
At FSW, we enjoy working in a collaborative, mission-driven environment and value the benefits of a diversified workplace that prioritizes our clients and the communities we serve. If you want to make a difference in the lives of thousands of people across the communities of Westchester, and if the position of Head Start Teacher speaks to your capabilities, experience and commitment to social service, please complete the online application on Indeed.com and upload your resume. Qualified candidates will be contacted by phone and/or email.
FSW is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- White Plains, NY 10606: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
- Childcare: 2 years (Preferred)
- Child Development Associate Certification (Preferred)
Work Location: One location
To apply please email resume to: Crystal Reeves email@example.com