Family Services of Westchester (FSW) is looking for Certified Peer Advocates to work in our Family Mental Health Clinics.
Family Mental Health Clinics include Licensed Professionals of the Healing Arts( LCSW, LMSW, LMHC, and other related Mental health degrees) Psychiatrists, and Psychologists, and will be adding Peers, and people with lived experience. The Peer Advocates will be part of the team. Peer Advocate roles are designed to allow staff to share their personal recovery/resiliency story in order to engage and empower the client in the treatment process, assist in achieving and sustaining new skills, develop coping mechanisms, and build relationships.
FSW is looking for a Peer Advocate for our Mt. Vernon Location.
Job Status: Part Time
Supervised By: Marlene Furtick
- Engage potential clients and provide education regarding the treatment process.
- Assist clients in achieving and sustaining new skills and coping mechanisms.
- Empower client to advocate for self.
- Support clients in times of crisis
- Connect clients to community or natural supports.
- Document all contact in Electronic Medical Record
- Work individually or in groups with adults and caregivers to build skills, promote resilience and restore, rehabilitate, and support a client’s functioning
- Hours for this position are non-traditional and require flexibility in response.
- This position may require use of personal vehicle with reimbursement for mileage
- OH NY Certification as a Peer Specialist or Family Peer Advocate (FPA-C)
- Demonstrate “lived experience” and can attest that one is actively in recovery from a mental health condition
- Parent or primary caregiver with lived experience parenting a child with social, emotional, developmental, or behavioral healthcare needs.
- Have a high school diploma, high school equivalency preferred or a State Education Commencement Credential (e.g., SACC or CDOS). This educational requirement can be waived by the State if the person has demonstrated competencies and has relevant life experiences sufficient for the peer credential.
- Submit 2-3 letters of references attesting to proficiency in and suitability for the role.
- Complete 20 hours of continuing education and renew his or her FPA credential every two years.
High School Diploma
Some College (preferred)
Bachelor’s in Social Work or Related Field (preferred)
- Lived experience as a person with a mental health condition
There are a variety of benefits to joining Family Services of Westchester, an organization with over 65 years of history impacting vulnerable communities. In addition to the opportunity to connect with and help thousands of residents in Westchester County, FSW offers its employees an inspiring, diverse and team-based work environment with comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, 403(b) and generous paid time off.
FSW is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $18.00 – $20.00 per hour
Please submit your resume to Marlene Furtick at Marlene.firstname.lastname@example.org