Veteran Services PEER SPECIALIST
What We Do:
FSW’s Veterans Services program was established in January 2012 to meet the needs of returning veterans and their families. Since then, we have expanded our services to veterans and families from all eras without restrictions to service dates, discharge or dependency status. Family Services of Westchester understands the problems that arise during military service and community reintegration and offers individualized strategies to address the unique issues faced by the military community. Our highly trained staff is partially comprised of former active duty and veteran family members. This position will be located in White Plains, NY
Veteran Services Core Values:
- We are One Team. We believe we all accomplish more when we are working together. Just like the military, there is no “I” in “Team”.
- We make an Impact. We are determined to have a positive influence and improve the lives of our Veterans and their families.
- We are Passionate. We care deeply about our mission and are not afraid to raise the bar.
- We are Transparent. We pride ourselves on having open, honest, and sincere communication with our team, Veterans and their families.
- We are Innovative. We never settle and are always striving to improve our services to our Veterans, their families, and ourselves.
The Peer Specialist functions as a member of our Team to assist with the outreach, support and coordination of care for Veterans living in Westchester who require additional supports in order to live successfully in the community. Peer Specialist will serve as a role model and/or health coach for clients.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diplomas or GED
- Relevant life experience required: personal experience living with a disability and/or social/emotional challenge, and willingness to draw upon this experience to serve as a role model .
- Current New York State Driver License
- Clean DMV Record
- Proof of Motor Vehicle Insurance
REPORTS TO: Director of Veteran Services
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands and fingers to feel, handle, or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide outreach to clients in order to facilitate their engagement in services and offer additional supports so they may live successfully in the community
- Provide support, especially on issues of self-advocacy, wellness self-management, medication adherence, smoking cessation, entitlements, and daily living activities.
- May be asked to assist with and coordinate clients’ transportation to appointments, including provision of travel training as needed.
- Accompany clients to medical and/or other appointments to facilitate their engagement and follow through as needed.
- Maintains documents, records, statistics, and other related reports in an organized, timely and accurate manner as per policy and procedure.
- Works as part of the Veteran Services team; attends and participates in team meetings to provide input/feedback around psychosocial conditions/co-morbidities to review client status, update plans and goals, review outcomes to further program goals.
- Provides telephonic as well as face to face outreach, engagement and service planning in the field.
- Monitors overall service delivery to clients to ensure coordination and continuity; advocates with service providers/resources as needed.
- Provides crisis intervention and follow-up.
- Other duties as assigned.
- COVID-19 vaccination is required to work at Family Services of Westchester. Proof of vaccination against COVID-19 must be submitted as part of employment application.
- Working knowledge of computer software word/excel and email.
- Demonstrated competency in written, verbal and computational skills to present and document records in accordance with program standards.
- Excellent interpersonal skills required.
- Ability and willingness to regularly travel in own vehicle to many locations within Westchester.
- Ability to maintain a clean and valid New York State driver’s license.
- Ability to safely operate a vehicle in a safe manner under all driving conditions.
- Must have ability to listen to veteran or clients
All Agency staff, staff of other agencies, and professionals having to do with assigned clients.
At FSW, we enjoy working in a collaborative, mission-driven environment and value the benefits of a diversified workplace that prioritizes our clients and the communities we serve. If you want to make a difference in the lives of thousands of people across the communities of Westchester, and if the position of Clinician speaks to your capabilities, experience and commitment to social service, please complete the online application on Indeed.com, upload your resume and cover letter with salary requirements. Qualified candidates will be contacted by phone and/or email.
Family Services of Westchester is an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
To apply, please send your resume to Andrea Molina: email@example.com