|Job title||Respite Specialist (White Plains)|
|Reports to||Division Director of Community Impact & Engagement, Respite|
Family Services of Westchester, Inc. (FSW) provides mental health and social services that strengthen and support families, children and individuals at every stage of their lives. Serving 30,000 people a year, including 20,000 children, with nearly 50 innovative programs, including counseling, education and support, FSW is a pillar of health in the Westchester community.
Family Services of Westchester (FSW) is looking for a Full-time Respite Specialist for our Respite Program located in White Plains, NY. As a recreational leader, the Respite Specialist will be part of a team providing supervision, support, and social skills building for children between the ages of 5-21 who are struggling with serious emotional disturbance (SED).
POSITION: Respite Specialist
SUPERVISED BY: Division Director of Community Impact & Engagement, Respite
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work within a team, providing supervision/engagement during recreational activities for SED children in one of our programs – varied flexible hours available weekdays after school, weekends (Friday evening, Saturday and Sunday daytime), school vacations and summer break.
- Summer Camp is 7-10 weeks in the summer (Monday – Thursday) and Friday is a shorter team meeting day
- Completion of the mandatory training (last 2 weeks of JUNE)
- Submit the mandatory program forms, log reports, petty cash records, and progress notes daily
- Work individually or in groups with children & adolescents to build skills, promote resilience and have fun.
- Potential to become part of support circle for children, including additional supportive contact
- Hours for this position are non-traditional and require flexibility in respons
- Must meet with supervisor monthly and attend monthly staff meetings
- Submit your schedule weekly to program supervisor
- Maintain FSW agency vehicles cleanliness and document vehicle usage and maintenance needs.
- Support program needs with any other requests from the program/camp director.
- Some College (Preferred)
- Bachelor’s in Social Work or Related Field (Preferred)
- Three years minimum experience with the SED population. Experience working with children in a recreational or educational setting strongly preferred.
- Working with SED population: 2-3 years (preferred)
- Initial orientation and supervision as well as training sessions are required.
- Cultural humility, including awareness & sensitivity
- Ability to set boundaries and limits, to work collaboratively with others, and to communicate information clearly in a strength-based, sensitive way, both orally and in writing
- Ability to connect with people, recognizing and building on their individual strengths.
- Consistency and dependability – being responsible to meet obligations and honor commitments
- Valid Driver’s License (any state)
- CPR/BLS & Lifeguard Training (with in last year) preferred
- Have a great sense of humor
- COVID-19 VACCINATIONS REQUIRED
At FSW, we enjoy working in a collaborative, mission-driven environment and value the benefits of a diversified workplace that prioritizes our clients and the communities we serve. If you want to make a difference in the lives of thousands of people across the communities of Westchester, and if the position of Respite Specialist speaks to your capabilities, experience and commitment to social service, please apply through Indeed.com. Qualified candidates will be contacted by phone and/or email.
To apply, please email resume to Patrick Schelle @ Pschelle@fsw.org
Family Services of Westchester, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.